Are you an LGBTQ+ youth, 29 years old or under, who is also a newcomer, refugee, refugee claimant, or non-status person living in Canada?
Express is a safer weekly community group where we honor your journey.
Build community with other youth from across the globe and find community resources to help you:
- rebuild your life in a new country;
- navigate your refugee claim process;
- discuss challenges about your connections with family, friends and community back home;
- find an income;
- make the most of OW (Ontario works);
- make the most of what money you have;
- budget for sending money back home;
- access safer housing;
- navigate the shelter system;
- talk about food health and wellness;
- get used to the weather;
- understand how school works in Canada;
- apply for study and work permits;
- find employment support;
- deal with culture shock and unmet expectations;
- celebrate your identities, cultures and histories; and
- connect to helpful people and services.
Food and TTC tokens provided.
When: Tuesdays, 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
For more Express information and programming please contact our facilitators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support
Thank you to the Toronto Pearson International Airport and Propeller Project for its support of SOY Express.
About the Facilitators
Patrick Salvani or Ms. Nookie Galore is a genderqueer drag queen, writer, arts and program facilitator for SOY. They are the FatherMom to the largest Queer and Trans people of colour show, The Drag Musical. Patrick's work has been featured in CBC Arts, AGO First Thursday, Rhubarb Festival and Mayworks, and published in the book Diasporic Intimacies and Marvelous Grounds.
Courtney is a queer femme cis woman who works with newcomer youth and coordinates Express.